Labels

Monday, April 18, 2011

P90X - hooah?


            Approximately two years ago my husband left for army basic training. At the time I was surprised the army let him in because we were both pretty overweight. Now I find that the army will pretty much let any riffraff into the ranks as long as they can whip them into shape during basic. If they can’t be morphed in your regimental soldier in 3 months time… Well, they’ll just get held back until they assimilate.
            During the first few weeks of basic there was no contact, it was a tremulous time in our relationship and we had just gotten married. I was worried, needless to say. And finally I got a letter. The letter was short and briefly told me about all the working out they had to do. They had physical training, marching and at the whim of any of the drill instructors they could be ‘smoked.’
            Smoking is an adequate term, it describe the after affects of this activity, which is used as punishment and pastime. Smoking is where your drill instructor details a series of exercises and has you do them along with him or her, and then alone – in synchronization with the other soldiers. And then again, and then again. Until you have reached the point that you can no longer physically push yourself up to do another push-up/iron mike/terminator. Smoked: to workout so much and so hard that you can no longer physically move.
            This was an everyday occurrence for him, sometimes several times a day depending on the mood of the drill instructor or the insubordination of the privates. At this time I was about 50 lbs. overweight and immediately began to fear that my husband would come back all Burt Reynolds and I’d still be Rosie O’Donnell. So I began to run, and run.
            Everyday I would run. I started out only being able to run a half of a mile. I added on two workouts a day, morning and evening. I added pushups and sits ups. When he’d have 12-mile marches I’d go out and walk for 12 miles. And then I worked my way up to 3 miles in 22 minutes by the time his graduation came around. I had lost 40 lbs in 3 months by the time I went to South Carolina for his graduation.
            My pinnacle of performance was when we had gotten to our first duty station in Oklahoma. I was able to run 10 miles non-stop and was down to 125 lbs. And one month later I was blessed to discover that my husband and I would be bringing a baby into this world. I was not mad at all that my newfound fitness had taken a back seat to my greater purpose.
            However, my son is 8 months old now. I have been running off and on but getting sick and returning to school has put various dampers on my performance and workout schedule. I want to get back on the horse.
            That’s when I was seriously considering P90X. So I went a looked up a bit of it on YouTube and didn’t really like what I saw. The exercises seemed great but I am certainly not the type of person who likes to stand there and wait for a group of people of the TV screen to pick up there weights and get going already!! I am more independent. I suppose of you need the fundamental directions a workout tape would be great for you. But otherwise you can find all the same workouts for p90x right on YouTube and write them down. And that is what I have done.
            Basically I am going to begin, this Monday, my own regimen of p90x mixed with various other workouts – but mainly focusing on cardio. Running is my workout calling. And I want to be healthy for my son and my family. But mostly I want to be healthy for when my husband gets back from Iraq on leave this August. It is my son’s first birthday and we are going to Key West!!!!

Goals

1)      Lose 15 pounds
2)      Bloomsday baby.
3)      Look great in my bathingsuit
4)      Maintain a Stringent diet
Do all this while finishing school and being the bestest Mommy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment